Salem State’s Congressional Internship Program is turning 20! Thanks to the generous support of donors nearly 30 of our political science students have worked as summer interns in Washington, D.C. for U.S. Senators, Representatives, Congressional Committees and Congressional Caucuses over the past two decades. These opportunities have increased their knowledge of policy issues and allowed them to network with other students, faculty and policy professionals. Former interns have gone on to elected office, Fulbright Scholarships, law school, graduate school, jobs on Capitol Hill and Beacon Hill, and many other significant achievements. Congressional interns have enriched our student body as they share their experiences in class discussions and with the larger campus community upon their return to Salem.
In 2020, we named the Congressional Internship Program in honor of retiring Professor Rich Levy in recognition of his long-standing contributions to our internship program. Please help us expand the Rich Levy Congressional Internship program with a gift that will enable us to provide additional opportunities for even more students to experience Washington, D.C. and Capitol Hill.
WE NEED YOUR HELP
Your generous contribution donation will allow us to:
• Increase the summer internship stipend to keep pace with increasing costs of housing in Washington, D.C.
• Make Congressional Internships available for more students, for longer internships and possibly at other times of the year
• Cover the cost of winter session tuition to take POL310 U.S. Congress to better prepare students and enhance their chances for internship selection.
• Provide professional clothing stipend for Congressional Internship Program participants
• Expand the number of students who benefit from experiences on Capitol Hill with a week-long proposed Congressional Institute that would provide students with a unique opportunity to learn about federal policy making from Congressional staff, interest group representatives, members of Congress and faculty
EVERY GIFT HELPS
Also, please join us in Salem at the Hawthorne Hotel for an event from 8-9:30am on Friday, June 9 to celebrate the 20th anniversary with President Keenan, Professor Emeritus Rich Levy and former Congressional Interns. Register here.
Books on Congress
Pass for use on DC Metro subway for one month
Purchase of clothing for working on Capitol Hill in the summer
Plane ticket to/from Washington, DC, 3 month DC Metro Pass, and transportation to/from airports.
Intern dorm housing for 2 months in Washington, D.C.
Housing, stipend, and transportation for one full 3 month internship in Washington, D.C.